The EBRD regions are home to vibrant and diverse cities that span across central Europe to Central Asia, the Western Balkans and the southern and eastern Mediterranean region.
Cities in the EBRD regions face numerous challenges, including insufficient infrastructure investment, demographic changes, poor air quality and historical legacies of high energy and carbon intensity.
Many cities in these regions are also particularly vulnerable to the impacts of climate change, with increased heat stress and extreme weather events. Solid waste management is another pressing
issue, with recycling almost negligible compared to the EU average of 39 per cent and far short of the EU target of 50 per cent of municipal solid waste recycling by 2020.
To address these challenges, the EBRD developed EBRD Green Cities, with the aim of building a better and more sustainable future for cities and their residents. The programme has three central components:
1. Green City Action Plans (GCAPs): Assessing and prioritising environmental challenges, and developing an action plan to tackle these challenges through policy interventions and sustainable infrastructure investments.
2. Sustainable infrastructure investment: Facilitating and stimulating public or private green investments in: water and wastewater, urban transport, district energy, energy efficiency in buildings, solid waste and other interventions that improve the city’s adaptation and resilience to climate shocks.
3. Capacity-building: Providing technical support to city administrators and local stakeholders to ensure that infrastructure investments and policy measures identified in GCAPs can be developed, implemented and monitored effectively.
Green City Aims To:
1. Preserve the quality of environmental assets (air, water, land and biodiversity) and use these resources sustainably.
2. Mitigate and adapt to the risks of climate change.
3. Ensure that environmental policies and developments contribute to the social and economic well-being of residents.
Become a Green City
Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org